Thursday, April 23, 2009

Soup

Yes, yes, I know, I haven't posted for awhile. But I AM writing.....I just don't think there's anything worth putting up, as yet. I'm working on a review of Anne McCaffrey's works at the moment, and that is taking more time than I had planned for having it take. So more posts soon to follow.. :)

I was just reminded of a series that I had not read in awhile, but practically grew up listening to while on long trips. (My parents were awesome, in that, we were always provided with audio books for the car.) So, ever since I can really remember, I have listened to Soup and Soup and Me (sorry for not obeying the proper rules of grammar, but I couldn't find the underline button, and my whole post is in italics which makes it pointless to try to italicize) by Robert Newton Peck.

Robert 'Rob' is a young boy growing up in Vermont. His best pal, Luther Wesley Vincent (goes by the name of 'Soup' because he hates his name so much) is his fellow partner-in-crime (instigator). These boys go through the normal growing pains of adolescence, including love for a girl (Norma Jean Bissel) and the fear of the class bully (a tobacco-chewing girl named Janice Rikker). Soup and Rob smoke 'corn silk tobacco' in 'acorn pipes' and go skinny-dipping against their mother's wishes. I laughed so much at their escapades and daring antics. From stealing the clothes from the Baptist Missionary Box to bouncing down a hill in an apple barrel, I enjoyed these books thoroughly! I LOVE the Soup series which now includes over ten volumes. I would definitely recommend these books to any age, and I wish our library carried them!


Until next time,

No comments:

Post a Comment